1. Collect the dry swab according to laboratory procedure, in a dry tube without transport media.
2. Add 300µl of PCR DIRECT® ER1 to a low binding microtube (1.5-2.0ml)
3. Add the swab to the microtube, squeeze and turn the swab against the microtube wall to extract as much as possible of the mucus, at least ten (10) times
4. Pipette mix at least ten (10) times
5. Heat sample for five (5) minutes at 70°C (Optional)
6. Sample is ready for downstream molecular analysis or processing
Note: Inadequate mixing, squeeze, and turns in steps 3 and 4 will result in lower sensitivity. Mixing by pipetting is preferred
Nucleic acid yield and processing efficiency may vary depending on the virus extracted.
Samples prepared with the PCR DIRECT ER1 should be used in the intended downstream processes within 4 hours of preparation or frozen if intended for use within 24 hours.
Freeze-thaw cycles after adding PCR DIRECT ER1 should be limited to 2 or fewer.
For long-term storage of RNA, we recommend the addition of an RNase inhibitor in the amount recommended by the manufacturer to ensure long-term stability.